The El Camino Youth Symphony Association is dedicated to musical education by providing a nurturing environment for the training and development of young musicians and to musical excellence by presenting outstanding musical events for the community. The Association provides the financial and administrative support necessary to maintain the ECYS music education and performance programs. The Association’s Board of Directors is composed of parents and interested community members who volunteer their time and effort.
ECYS Board members are responsible for the future of ECYS, believe in the values of ECYS, summed up in the phrase "excellence in a nurturing environment,” give voluntarily their time, energy, counsel, and financial support, develop relationships for the Association, and contribute to the team spirit of the board.
Expectations for Board Members include the following: attendance at monthly meetings to provide candid, helpful advice and guidance for the organization; participation in one or more committees; participation in developing fund-raising opportunities; provision of sensitive support to staff members; and financial support of the organization at whatever level possible. Contact the ECYS office for additional information.
Ways to Serve | Frequently Asked Questions
2016 - 2017 ECYS Board of Directors
Virginia Kiraly, President
XinXin Guo, Vice-President
Jennifer Matthews, Secretary
Mandy Sherman, Treasurer
Virginia Kiraly, President
The Advisory Committee members consist primarily of past Board members, especially officers. These members act, on an as-needed basis, as advisors and consultants and are available to answer questions and to discuss historical perspectives about ECYS.
Ways to Serve
As a Board member you can share your expertise, opinions, and experience by chairing or serving on any of the following committees, which all work, as needed, with the Executive Director and Music Director:
- The Executive Committee—oversees the activities and organization of the board and acts for the full board in matters that require immediate action or do not involve major questions of policy or funding.
- The Finance Committee—works in coordination with the ECYS Treasurer to make recommendations regarding all financial procedures and controls, reviews and assists in preparation and presentation of budgets and all financial statements.
- The Development Committee—takes charge of planning and coordinating fund-raising efforts.
- The Personnel Committee—is responsible to the Board on all issues relating to personnel.
- The Tour Committee—in conjunction with the Executive Director and the Music Director, plans and executes activities connected with the summer Symphony tour.
- The Hospitality Committee—is responsible for providing refreshments and for organizing set-up and clean-up committees for after-concert receptions, Board planning sessions, and other activities.
- The Nominating Committee—takes responsibility for recruiting and recommending Board members as needed In addition, you can actively promote ECYS to your communities. By talking to your friends, neighbors, and coworkers, fruitful and rewarding relationships emerge, and you may identify potential sponsors and donors.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am unable to meet the financial obligations of Board membership?
We appreciate your financial support at whatever level you are comfortable, but we also value the investments of your time, creativity, and energy.
Do I need a special talent to become a Board member?
Board membership offers many ways to contribute positively to ECYS. We are sure you will find activities that suit your needs and abilities. We also believe that active Board participation may be an opportunity to recognize and nurture new abilities.
May I still serve on the Board even though I might have an occasional time conflict?
Of course, we all have busy lives, and while we hope for maximum participation, we are respectful of others’ workloads. We ask that you notify the Board president if you are unable to attend a Board meeting.